Welcome to EnlightenUp! I'm Kelly Anne.
Please join us as we explore gentle ways of
inspiring thoughts of peace through peace art.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Just A Memory




Sometimes it's fun to remember things
that once humiliated us. :)
This is a memory of something I
thought I'd never live down...
Now, I can laugh.

It was 1973 and I was 19. I was quite a fan of rock and roll... But, I had gotten my first job in radio as a DJ, for a country station, KUZZ Bakersfield. A Buck Owens owned station.

It was back when all the country songs had that twang... and the songs were about someone leaving, a broken truck or CB Radios. I love music, but... Let's just say that I wasn't "socially proud" of my job at that point. Anyway, I endured the teasing and was getting through it, UNTIL....
Christmas was nearing and I was to be in the Christmas parade that rolled down Chester Ave., the main street of Bakersfield for KUZZ Radio. It actually sounded kind of fun. So I went and got some new jeans, a jacket and some boots and showed up where and when I was told to be.
"Where do I stand?" I asked. The morning man said, "You're next me. You're in the saddle." Then, he pointed at what I expected to be a horse. But... This horse had 4 wheels. It had silver dollars all over the dashboard, big long horn antlers on the hood, a saddle sticking up out of the back seat and it MOOED when the horn was honked! Yep... I did it. I rode in the parade, in the saddle of the Buckmobile! I thought I'd never live it down! :)

I found a picture of it...
It's now the backdrop of a bar at The Crystal Palace.

And you thought I was always a Hippie. (Grin)!
(The little snippet below is an Air Check.
It was a few years later... and not a
country station. :) My on-air name was
Suite: Irene.

1 comment:

  1. LOL Only you my Kelly heehee I bet you were a wonderful sight to behold darlin. Shame the pic you found didn't have you in it, do you know if one exists?

    ReplyDelete